Monday, September 17, 2007

Cecil Castellucci is the coolest ever!!!

I am totally into the books of Cecil Castellucci right now. When I grow up, I want to be her, she is that freakin awesome! (Yes, her name is Cecil and she is a girl. I don't know why.) She has written three YA novels:
Boy Proof
The Queen of Cool
Beige
and one graphic novel:
The Plain Janes

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be very hard, but I would pick the first one, Boy Proof. Boy Proof is about a girl named Egg, who thinks she is boy proof (and pretty much friend-proof, too), until she meets Max. Max helps Egg see that maybe she doesn't see things very clearly. There are lots of fun Hollywood and nerdy SciFi/Fantasy references that I really appreciated (being a nerdy girl from CA.)
The Queen of Cool is about Libby, a very popular girl who ends up befriending a dwarf at the zoo. Seriously. How cool is that?
Beige is the story of Katie, sent to live with her father, a punk drummer known as The Rat, for a summer. Katie feels pretty beige compared to everyone in this ultra-loud, ultra-hip punk scene, but maybe she is selling herself a bit short. Think old school punk, like The Sex Pistols and Black Flag.
The Plain Janes is sort of a post 9-11 story. How to deal when you aren't the person you thought you were.

If you want to know more about Cecil Castellucci (and there is lots more to know!), please check out her website: www.misscecil.com. She is totally awesome!

No comments: